Summer Camps 2017
Spanish Camp cancelled
The Foreign Language Department at Our Lady of Providence High School believes that the purpose of foreign language is to
- Prepare young people to promote multi-cultural acceptance, become culturally sensitive, and communicatively competent travelers, students, and/or workers in other societies and cultures in the world,
- Interact positively and more effectively with the native speakers they meet and work with in this country, and
- Develop capabilities needed for productive citizenship in Indiana, the United States, and the world. This department further believes that the foreign language programs at Our Lady of Providence shall accomplish these goals within the framework of a Catholic and Christian environment in accordance with the mission statement of Our Lady of Providence and the mission statement of the Archdiocese of Indianapolis.
The foreign language department at Our Lady of Providence High School believes all the foreign language educational programs should be built around the following goals that address:
- Developing a positive attitude toward foreign languages and foreign cultures
- Communicating through listening and speaking
- Recognizing the relationship among languages, literatures, and cultures
- Demonstrating appropriate behaviors in a culture in which the language being learned is spoken
- Understanding Catholic and Christian spirituality in the cultures in which the language being learned is spoken
- Focusing on the nine cultural contexts of foreign language education: the world of the target language, leisure time, family and home, school and education, travel and transportation, meeting personal needs, the world of work, history and politics, and the fine arts.